London is full of older Lutron HomeWorks Illuminations and Interactive legacy lighting control systems. NVI have updated stacks of these to the HomeWorks QS platform. This brings a number of benefits, but there are lots of aspects to consider. Read on to find out more...
There are a few different ways to upgrade a legacy Lutron system. The best option for you will depend on the specific system you have and your needs.
One option is to replace the entire system for new, while this is the best method it is also the most expensive.
The alternative is a hybrid approach where you keep the existing keypads, dimmers, or both, and change only the legacy processor (the brain of the system) for Lutron HomeWorks QS. This is usually cheaper overall, and will bring modern features such as app based control of the lights, but the saving also has downsides.
If you're not sure which option is right for you, then it's best to get in touch with us for advice. We can help you assess your needs and recommend the best upgrade path for your system.
Here are some of the benefits of upgrading your legacy Lutron system:
- Improved functionality: Newer Lutron systems offer a wider range of features and functionality compared to older systems. For example, HomeWorks QS can be used to control blinds and curtains, thermostats, and other devices in addition to lights.
- Lower maintenance: Newer energy saving LED bulbs have a longer lifespan than their halogen predecessors, we install it and you can forget about it. No more maintenance companies changing bulbs.
- Lower bills: An offshoot of the above is that the LED bulbs are much more efficient, and therefore consume less energy than halogen bulbs. With energy prices at an all time high, that can count up to a considerable annual saving in larger properties, and in a short space of time the cost of the Lutron upgrade will have paid for itself in lower bills. Plus you'd be saving the planet too.
- New products: The newest versions of Lutron HomeWorks will allow you to take advantage of Lutron's latest products, for example changing the legacy keypads to Alisse, or change your tired roller blinds to Palladiom.
- App controls: The HomeWorks QS platform comes with app based controls for your phone, tablet, and smart watch. These even work when you're away from home, so you can turn off missed lights, set the heating prior to arriving home, or activate a holiday mode to simulate a lived in routine while you're away.
- User level programming: If you want to adjust the lighting scenes in the future, you can access and edit the programming behind each keypad button press, directly from the app. This empowers the homeowner to tweak the lighting levels and circuits, without having the expense or wait of an engineer attending the property.
- Smart programming: Newer Lutron systems can help you save energy by automatically dimming lights when you're not using them.
- Improved security: Newer Lutron systems can be integrated with your smart home or security systems to provide added protection for your home. For example setting the alarm when you leave the house will automatically switch all the lights off, set the heating to away mode, and close the blinds.
- Enhanced comfort: When the works are carried out, we can re-program the lighting scenes, helping you create custom lighting scenes that can help you relax, entertain, or focus.
- Access to parts: If the worst should happen and a component of your legacy Lutron system fails, you could be relying on the availability of second hand parts to replace, which are becoming more scarce as each year passes. By upgrading, you're not only getting a fresh 10 year warranty from Lutron, but safe in the knowledge that there will be parts available 'off the shelf' and generally next day available should something fail.
- Discounts: Lutron offer a cash incentive on any new product which is purchased at the time, for existing customers who are choosing to upgrade their Lutron HomeWorks systems.
If you're considering upgrading your legacy Lutron system, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- The cost of the upgrade will vary depending on the specific system you have and the features you want.
- You will need to hire a Lutron partner to design, install, and commission the upgraded components.
- If you choose to keep the legacy Lutron dimmers, you will not have the compatibility for modern LED bulbs and the energy savings that brings.
Lutron also have a useful brochure for explaining more about the process and the benefits, which you can access here.
Overall, upgrading your legacy Lutron system can be a great way to improve the functionality, energy efficiency, security, and comfort of your home, while also buying peace of mind and securing yourself against equipment failure. If you'd like to find out more then get in touch.